Best Training Tips for Runners


If you’re over 40 and training for a race, you need to read this.

The best way to hit your goals on race day is to avoid overtraining & injury.

Unfortunately, it’s easier said than done. Most runners struggle to complete their training plans without missing runs (or running through pain).

As a Physical Therapist, I find that most injuries boil down to “training plan errors.”

Two areas in particular: recovery and pacing.

Learn more in this video:


The 80% Rule

Most runners are pacing too fast through their runs – even the easy days!

Pushing too hard often results in overtraining and injury.

If you’re over 40 or prone to injuries, I urge you to pull back. Focus instead on easy base pace for 80% of your runs. The other 20% can be tempo or race pace.

I promise you this is the best path to a PR on race day.

The 60% Rule

Your goal should be to run 60% of your peak distance BEFORE you start training.

For instance, if your peak distance is 50 mi/km, you should average running 30 mi/km for a few weeks before starting your plan.

Doing this will give you a good base for injury prevention.

Once you start training, it’s essential to prioritize your recovery time.

That’s why I recommend running 60% of your peak distance every third week.

Build toward your goal for two weeks, then drop back for one week.  

Using the prior example, your weekly volume may look like this:

*40, 44, 30, 44, 47, 30

Notice the drop to 60% of peak volume?

This strategy works well to prevent overtraining and injury.

Key Takeaway

Getting to race day feeling fast & injury-free can be tough – especially for runners over 40.

That’s why I recommend using the 80-60% principles outlined above. Although simple strategies, each provides protection against overtraining & injury.

Want help running fast & injury-free at your next race?

Then check out RunSmart!

Get your strength workouts, training plans, and injury prevention – all in one place.

Our customized training plans even adapt to your local weather to prevent overheating – A problem we all know well in the summer 😅

If you want to run fast and injury-free at your next race, there’s no better time to try RunSmart!

Fast & Injury-Free Running Awaits!

See how RunSmart is helping 3,000+ runners train smarter and save money!

Race, Recover, and Maintain with RunSmart

Physical Therapist-designed plans for every race, recovery, and routine run. Set a new PR, conquer a new distance, or stay fit with a free 14-day trial, then only $15/month or $119/year.

14-Days Free to Use, Cancel Anytime.