Do you feel stiff and sore when you run?
If so, this stretch is for you!
As a Physical Therapist and running coach, I find that many runners struggle with tight calves and hips.
If you can loosen up those muscles, it will really help you improve your run form.
Watch the video to learn the stretch!
Why Do This Stretch?
To change the way you run, you need to have the pieces of your anatomy in place.
If your calves and hips are too tight, it’s like running with a parachute on your back. You’ve handicapped yourself.
These areas need to be opened up, and this is a great stretch to do it.
You can easily add it to your warm-up or cool down, and it will really help your running.
Here’s How to Do It
Put your left foot up on a stool or chair. You can use your front steps as well. Just try to have something to hang onto so you can keep your balance.
Face forward with both toes pointing straight ahead. Make sure your back heel is touching the ground.
Glide forward and back. You will feel the stretch in either your calf or your hip, whichever is tightest.
For a better stretch, take your right arm over your head in a C motion as you glide forward. Your left hand should reach down towards the floor. Do 20 reps on both sides.
Better run form starts with flexibility, especially in your calves and hips.
If those muscles are loose, improving your run form will be much easier.
For more help with your running technique, check out the Midfoot Project below.
Get all the drills, exercises, and training you need to make incredible changes in your stride!
Ready to Improve Your Run Form?
Registration for the Midfoot Project is now open!
Transform your stride for faster, injury-free running in just 5 weeks!
Here’s what you get with the Midfoot Project:
- Step-by-step video training that teaches you everything you need to fix old habits
- Weekly guided audio runs that teach you technique while running
- Every drill & exercise you need to transform your running & avoid getting hurt
- Weekly study guides to keep you organized
- Access to the Private Midfoot Project Group & coaches to get support and ask questions
- Weekly Live Q&A sessions to get all your questions answered
- LIFETIME ACCESS to go at your own pace, pair with your training, or access in the future